Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has settled a lawsuit with former Brooklyn Assemblyman Dov Hikind — sparing her from having to testify in federal court Tuesday over why she blocked him on Twitter, The Post has learned.
“I have reconsidered my decision to block Dov Hikind from my Twitter account,” Ocasio-Cortez said in a statement obtained by The Post on Monday. “Mr. Hikind has a First Amendment right to express his views and should not be blocked for them.”
As part of a settlement deal reached, Ocasio-Cortez issued an apology.
“In retrospect, it was wrong and improper and does not reflect the values I cherish. I sincerely apologize for blocking Mr. Hikind,” her statement said. “Now and in the future, however, I reserve the right to block users who engage in actual harassment or exploit my personal/campaign account, @AOC, for commercial or other improper purposes.”
Hikind sued the Bronx progressive darling in July, claiming she violated his First Amendment rights by blocking him on Twitter.
Hikind, a prominent Jewish leader, criticized Ocasio-Cortez’s comments comparing migrant centers at the border to concentration camps.
Hikind had been itching for the court battle.
He released a video on Halloween previewing the “D-day” court battle and solicited donations for the Americans Against Antisemitism group he founded.
“On November 5th we will find out why Ms. Ocasio-Cortez has taken the path of cowardice until now, why she needed to block the founder of Americans Against Antisemitism at a time of rising violent antisemitism,” Hikind said in the video.
Ocasio-Cortez has 5.7 million Twitter followers. She insisted she’s blocked fewer than 20 people.
“I’ve blocked less than 20 and it’s for harassment, not for political views,” she said in August.
“While people have a right to say whatever they want, they do not have a right to force me to hear it,” she added.